On rare occasions we may not be able to open the school as normal because of severe weather conditions. We understand that this can be very difficult for parents and carers. It is not a decision we take lightly.
Any decision will be made on the basis of the risk to student safety, either because of physical conditions (for example, if the heating fails) or because we do not have enough staff to carry out our duty of care (for example, because of transport disruption).
In these circumstances we may take the following actions:
- Open school later than normal
- End the school day earlier than normal
- Open the school only for some pupils (usually those in exam years)
- Close the school (as a last resort)
If we have to take any of these actions, we will notify families in the following ways:
- The school website: www.stgregory.oxon.sch.uk
- Local media: BBC Radio Oxford (95.2 FM), Heart FM (102.6 or 97.4 FM), and Jack FM (106.8 FM).
- Text messaging (available only if you have signed up for this service)
- Oxfordshire school closures: www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/schoolclosures
Please avoid phoning the school to check if we are open – this can jam the switchboard.
Travel to school
If school is open but severe weather or transport disruption prevents your children getting to school, please let us know by phone or text message. In such cases always consider safety first, we would rather pupils arrived late than were absent for the whole day.
Work for pupils
If we cannot remain open, we will make work available for pupils on our website and through Show My Homework. You can help by checking that your child knows their log in details in advance.