On Ash Wednesday 5th March at 5:00 Am in the morning 39 staff and students from St Greg’s set off to Gatwick to begin our pilgrimage to Rome. After a smooth flight and easy transfer to our guesthouse (called Villa Benedetta) we spend 5 miraculous days exploring Rome, having Mass in some of the most stunning churches and basilicas and frolicking around Assisi in the spirit of St Francis. Here is a summary of our trip and some photos to inspire you…
- The Basilica of St Paul-Outside-the-Walls and saw the portraits of all 266 Popes.
- The Venerable English College where all the English priests training to be priests in Rome live. We celebrated Mass and were offered a tour of the Martyrs’ chapel.
- The centro storico and the Piazza Farnese, with its massive Palace designed by Michelangelo and Campe de’ Fiori with its colourful market and Piazza Navona, Rome’s main square.
- The Pantheon, the best preserved ancient Roman building in the city.
- The Basilica of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, the only gothic church in Rome.
- Via dei Castri and looked in the window of all the clerical outfitters for a new outfit for Fr Naz.
- the Colosseum at night.
- St Peter’s Square and the Vatican City very early in the morning.
- The Basilica of St Peter and had Mass at the tomb of Blessed John Paul II which was a highlight for Fr Naz.
- The Dome of St Peter’s and looked out over Rome, the best view in the city.
- the Vatican Museum which lead us to the Sistine Chapel where we saw the famous image of God reaching down to touch Adam’s finger.
- The Trevi Fountain at night for Ice Cream.
- The Basilica of St Francis in Assisi and a tour by a very funny Franciscan friar!
- The Basilica of St Claire to end our retreat day in Assisi.
- St Peter’s Square again to see Pope Francis praying the Angelus.
- and we finished out pilgrimage at the Catacombs of San Callisto seeing the ancient burial of the early Christians.
We are immensely grateful to all the staff especially Mr Bailey, Mrs Haly and Fran Walsh who worked so hard to make the trip happen and to all students who helped to make this pilgrimage a huge and holy success.
|Adam Pagano||Jamie Francis|
|Aimee Randall||Jamie Lamoon|
|Amelia Proffitt||Joe Hardwick|
|Ania Beauclerk||John Hussey|
|Aoife Griffin||Kathleen Huntley|
|Callum Gibbons||Kirsty Lloyd|
|Carina Dos Santos||Lara Curtin|
|Cleo Dunnett||Lois Wilkins|
|Daniel Nicholls||Nazarius Frackson Mgungwe|
|Dearbhla Marnell||Oliver Garbett|
|Emily Doyle||Patrick Hield|
|Emma Hield||Rebekah Noonan|
|Emma Hodgkins||Rochelle Roque|
|Frances Walsh||Sam Matheson|
|Gabriela Gomes||Stephen Bailey|
|George Kearns||Steven Flockton|
|Hannah Sherwood||Tenisha Richens|
|Heather Pallier||Teresa Hussey|
|James O’Callaghan||Thomas Rumble|