How can I help my child with homework?
Here are some tips on how you can support your child:
- Keep track of homework at showmyhomework.co.uk or by downloading the app. If you haven’t get your login details, you can search for St Gregory’s and your classes from the homepage. Contact your child’s tutor for your unique login which will take you straight to your child’s homework.
- Help your child organise their time: keep an eye on deadlines and help them to space their work out, rather than leave it until a deadline is looming.
- Make sure they have space and quiet to work. If that’s difficult at home, our library is open before and after school each day.
- Make sure they have equipment to tackle a range of tasks: pens, pencils, ruler, sharpener, eraser, coloured pencils or pens, scissors, glue stick, protractor, drawing compasses, calculator, and a dictionary. If money is tight, contact school: we may be able to help.
- Limit distractions: no screens, TV or noise. Check that any online research is directed at the task – the internet is full of distractions!
- Take an interest in what your children are studying, talk with them about school, and encourage them to try their best.
- Insist on the basics of good presentation: titles underlined, work dated, neat, legible handwriting, answers in full sentences, good punctuation and spelling.
- Encourage regular reading: well-read students develop better communication skills and knowledge across a range of subjects. If your child claims that they have ‘no homework’, they should still spend at least half an hour reading.
- Ensure that your child acknowledges sources of information. From year 7 they should list the books or websites they have used. This good habit will help them avoid plagiarism later.
- If your child has difficulty with a question or exercise, ask what they have already learned that could help them. Prompt them to use resources like a dictionary, for help. If they are still unable to complete a task, please write a note to the teacher in your child’s planner.
For more information, read the Homework Policy.